Monday, February 15, 2010

Another Training Trip


Very much the same track as the last paddle. Starting out, it seemed the wind was going to be mild and kind, but it picked up in time to provide headwinds on the way back. Coming back across the bay, it was a crosswind, but was every bit as hard as going straight into it. Maybe it seems hard because it's at the end of the trip.

Didn't intend to go 9.3 miles but glad we got in enough to build some confidence that we can go 12 miles in the upcoming event!



Lots of birds out today. This seems to be one of the best times of year to see birds. As I've noted before, they seem to have a sense of entitlement and domination in the winter... like it is their world. In the spring and summer, they take a lesser role and live within the greater diversity. One of the otters showed up again. It's going to be very difficult to get a good picture, but I'll keep trying. It swam ahead for a ways, then turned around and popped its head up, looking at me to determine what I was and which direction I was headed, I think. Then it was gone.


I'm mixing in the paddle time with a lot of cycling and an occasional run. This paddle was Saturday and did that after a 5k run in the morning. Then rode 70 miles the next day, and going out to ride another 50 today. But after this hard trianing week I have a rest/recovery week. I like those - when you follow the plan you really feel like you earn it. And as many of the cycling books describe, it's when you REST that your fitness improves. Stress, recover, come back stronger.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

DummyDiva said...

Good luck in your race. I've registered for the Colorado 100 in Sept., my first.

Sheila said...

I thought you might find this interesting. Online newletter about Greenland Kayaking and more. Read tribute to Jo Hamilton and her blog Summer '08 Blades,Boots&Bike Tour @ http://www.bbbtour08.blogspot.com and it will sound like you.
Also trying to get in touch with this person that can teach greenland ropes? Qajaq USA 2009 Board Member Jennifer Torres living in Hattiesburg MS. http://www.qajaqusa.org/QUSA/bio_jennifer.html THought you might be interested in this too. Plus, when you ride the Longleaf Trace you'r right there. Looking forward to Battle on the Bayou. Sheila