Friday, September 29, 2006

Training


I've been in training, somewhat. A spin class here, a jog there. Today I took a serious stab at it, and did a 5 mile run then a 23 mile bike ride, just like the race will be. It's not hard to ride the bike after running. I kept up my usual pace but did feel slow at the end. So, where I am right now: 5 miles in 50 minutes (run). 23 miles in 1 hr 45 min (bike) with several breaks. I also took a 10 minute break in between. So if I do that each weekend before the event... and one of these weekends, throw in a paddle before the run, I think I'll be ready. I estimate:
4 mi paddle in 1 hour 10 min (I'm really not sure about the time there)
5 mile run in 50 min
23 mile bike in 1 hr 20 min
So that's a solid 3 and a half hours of exercise. Better prepare with some energy bars or some energy food in addition to plenty of water. The cool thing about this race is I already have everything I need to do it - the bike, the boat, all the accessories. This is my first bike race. I have done a few running races with GCRC, and I did the one kayak race at the OS Kayak fest in Jun '05 (which was a blast), but have not entered anything resembling a bike race. I'm glad the first one will be with people who are primarily runners, rather than the elite bike race crowd. I'm sure I don't know all the ins and outs yet.

No comments: